05 October 2005

Flies

Flies - an insect in rival for publicity in recent times after losing out to the aedes mosquito.

Although less irritating compared to a mosquito, it is still a threat to my well being. So annoying it is that after many years of technological breakthrough in trying to zap or splat the fly, its cohorts still manage to find ways to buzz around just to get your attention.

Here are some of the methods I have used in my 20 years experience.
  1. simple hand clapping method: never got around to mastering it. The flies are usually faster than my brain can register. Neither could I bare the idea of touching a fly, dead or alive. So, the clapping method did not succeed.
  2. Fly swater: A very useful and cheap tool. Can get it at a local store for less than RM5. Although it works as fine as your hand, but the results it yields is way better as you can strike from a further distant. With this tool is which I had the most kill.
  3. Electrically-charged Fly swater: Technology upgrade. Rather silly idea because it still depends on your hand work, but fun more the less especially after the kill. I once used to catch semi-conscious flies and put it on this fly swater to see sparks. But that was only once, honest! (battries not included)
  4. Leg-stepping method: Not really practical, but still fun. Legs are not as agile as your hands. But the satisfaction of squishing flies with legs are higher than of the hand. How often do you get to brag about killing flies with your legs (without the killer smell of course)? Shoes and semi-concious flies required.
  5. Windscreen: Works if you are driving through summer time in Australia or place full of ermm.. waste. Yes, the windscreen is very useful especially when you are driving very fast. The flies (or any thing) that cannot fly away fast enough will be sucked into the windscreen. Not very beautiful, but it works.
  6. Knife: Yup, it works. Unless getting hungry while working late at night seriously affect my visual senses. This one happened when I was spreading peanut butter on my bread and a fly landed on it. Being sensible, I tried shaking it hoping it would fly, it did not. Fearing that the fly would turn at me for disturbing its meal, I quickly slam the bread shut and squash it using the knife. Hmm.. so much for supper. Maybe the killer weapon is the bread?
There you go, it has all be proven to work. Next, how to clean up after the "incident"

1 comment:

Dissociated Mind said...

EWWWWWWWWWWW!!! what a waste of peanut butter sandwiches!!!!!!!

But the windscreen thing is so true! It's disgusting how when u're cruising on a highway and suddenly there's this thing that hits the windscreen with a loud thudsplat and ur screen's smeared with bug juice!! Ewwww...

When my friends and I went on a road trip in 2 cars and made a gas stop, we were checking out the bugs on both car's front bumper and windshield. My car won the biggest bug category, the other car won the most bugs category.. Everything plastered onto the cars surface. EwW