16 August 2006

Shallow Deep

Deep thoughts, are something I lack. Heck, even to think simple stuff is hard for me. My mind wonders all the time, always seeking the easiest way to explain how things should work. Any more information than the quota allowed, it will flow beyond my mind like a, ermm... a burst pipe. That's right, burst pipe!

I grow up in a family where deep thoughts are common, each individual in the family thinks of different matters which concerns them for long period of time, seeking explanation and solutions. Wishing that I would at least have half that kind of capability, I practise this thought process by wondering what would be the best way to get lunch using the least amount of time and effort.

It won't be long before I make the same decision base on previous experience. Not much thinking required.

Of course, this in turn has a terrible effect on me. Some of it are:
  • eating the same thing from the same place for a long period of time
  • not much of a great conversationist. I rather have people do most of the talking while I chip in a little to make it sound like I am smart enough to understand.
  • bad at self-evaluation, or sitting down quietly to reflect on important issues
  • etc. (see?)
Why am I thinking of these all of a sudden? I am not too sure myself. I was talking to an old school mate online just now and stumbled upon a blog of an ex-collegemate on philosophy of life. The old school mate I talked to was surprised when she found out that I was studying architecture instead of what suited me more like journalism or social science. Sure, it is nice to sound sophisticated and philosophical, but it is dangerous teritory once people found out that you are an expert on bull-dunging.

The other thing was I realised that my ex-collegemate who has a very philosophical outlook of life was rather worried about human civilisation and how inadequet, or meaningless, or how much pretense or how people would eventually fail/lie.

I would jump in and tell her that, God is with us! And there should be no fear in life with Him on our side. And failure is because we are physically and spiritually inperfect due to our sin. However, there is a fear that it would not be enough satisfy her philosophical needs or whatever she thinks it is. (sidenote: I think the Matthew 3 comes in here, when John the Baptist went around baptising people with the simple message of v2."Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is near". And that work! Relevance? Do not know. You tell me (grin) )

So coming back to the topic, which I no longer know how to continue because my mind has already overworked, I would like to conclude. If given a chance to be Pinky or Brain, I would rather be Pinky. Yep, dumb yet happy. What would be better is to be happy in the Name of the Lord. That would be a different topic altogether..

Cheers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

pinky?

hee.

Dissociated Mind said...

Apparently some ppl think that Pinky is actually the real genius between the two. *winks* Are you feeling bad about not being "deep" enough because you think that it's a good thing to be and because everyone in your family is? Really, Jack Jack, if it doesn't really hurt you personally, there isn't anything wrong in being able to think things in simple ways. Sometimes, life is simple but we complicate things. The ability to see things in a simple manner is very often a gift. =)

sonia said...

I sometimes wish to be able to think deep thoughts too. I must say I have 'improved' and moving towards that direction, but I'm not quite there yet. Haha!

BUT i also must say that I prefer to think simple. Often, solutions and situations seem to be easier to understand when we 'simplify' things (or our thoughts). Plus, we won't need to crack our heads so much. Less headaches. Good rite? Hehe..